Whether you are new to the Keto diet or have tried it before, there are some common mistakes you could be making that could cause you to halt, not get desired results you want, or keep you from enjoying overall good health. There can be several reasons to start a ketogenic diet. The most important reason because of which people adopt this diet is to lose excess weight. Second most important reason for which people are using this diet is to get relief from type 2 diabetes.
Apart from the above two most common reasons to start the ketogenic diet, people also use this to enhance their overall health.
There are few do’s and don’ts that you should follow if you want to get fruitful results from your ketogenic diet initiatives.
What You Should “Do” during Ketogenic Diet
• Eat organic food. Green leafy vegetable beef, chicken, salmon, unsalted butter, cheese etc.
• Replenish your electrolytes, but stay away from diet Gatorade or sugary or energy drinks. Drink bone broth or chicken broth. Take your salt but Make sure to keep it to maximum 2 tablespoons per day.
• Eat lots of healthy fats! Coconut oil, avocado oil, fresh avocados, unsalted butter, cheese, extra virgin olive oil, animal fats, and MCT oil. Fat is a rich source of energy and boosts mental health – it’s brain tonic!
• Use natural alternative sweeteners instead of the chemical variants – i.e.: stay away from sucralose/Splenda, DO use Erythritol or Stevia.
• Avoid fast food. It’s understandable that sometimes it might be the only option available, but if you aren’t desperate, skip it. Even the healthiest burgers of McDonald’s contain hidden carbs, refined sugar, and added salts. Avoid salads available at fast food outlets as they may as well contain unsaturated oils and refined sugar which can kill your ketogenic diet efforts.
What You Should “Avoid” during Ketogenic Diet
• Avoid eating low carb tortillas, “sugar-free” candies or jellies, low-carb packaged meal/sold in the store bread, diet soda, low carb energy bars, sugar-free shakes or frozen meals or zero calorie artificially sweetened drinks or flavored water.
• Avoid eating low-fat food. Don’t bother purchasing fat-free or low-fat cheese or Greek yogurt. Don’t! You are required to eat full-fat cheese and a lot of healthy fats. If the label says low fat, stay clear. If your Keto diet meal plan includes yogurt, make double sure it is full-fat yogurt.
• Avoid eating bad fats! Wondering what are the bad fats? Corn oil, vegetable oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated oil and canola oil are a bad form of fats.
•Don’t bother to look up nutrition information after you’ve already eaten something – always make it a habit to look it up before you eat it! Once you have eaten it, its already inside your system and there is absolutely nothing that you can do to undo it.
If you follow these easy-to-follow basics The Do’s and the Don’ts of the Ketogenic Diet then this ketogenic diet is sure going to work for you and give you the most desirable results as well as prove beneficial for your overall health.