One of the most overlooked facets of weight-management and sculpting the body is proper hydration and the use of water to achieve overall wellness. The benefits of drinking pure spring water are endless, and unlike many other healthy habits, the positive effects start to set in immediately – making this one of the most simplest things you can do to improve your body.
Below are key reasons you should be incorporating proper water intake in your daily regimen (ideally, you should be aiming for that gold standard of “a gallon a day”):
• Aside from hydrating the body and keeping it running smoothly, water aids in detoxification by flushing out toxins and cleansing the liver.
• Drinking water throughout the day can curb cravings, and consuming a glass of water prior to a meal can help you feel satisfied and keep you from taking in excess calories. Also, drinking a glass of water upon waking is essential to replenishing your fluid stores and kickstarting the metabolism for the day. For a good morning wake-up, try drinking a warm mug of water with half of a fresh lemon squeezed in it.
• Consuming water can boost the metabolism helping to burn fat – especially hot or cold water as the body must work to bring it to body temperature before absorbing it.
• For those who engage in weight training or maintain an active lifestyle, water intake is crucial for muscle recovery.
• Water helps improve and maintain the skin’s elasticity which is important not only for keeping a youthful appearance but for tightening skin as one loses weight or tones their body.
If these benefits aren’t enough to convince you of the importance of hydration, consider the alternatives. Dehydration can wreak havoc on not only your physical functioning but in extreme cases it can even affect your sleep and allow depressive symptoms to set in. Understand that you, your body, and it’s metabolism are much like a machine when it comes to operating optimally and avoiding breakdowns. To keep it functioning properly we must fuel it well (clean foods) and oil it consistently (water).
I challenge you to commit to increasing your water intake to a gallon a day for 2-weeks. Be sure to spread out your consumption throughout the day. Watch the positive changes take over!